Flying the Nest

home



If you follow me on social media, you'll probably be sick to death of hearing about me moving out. Sorry, but I'm not done talking about it- and probably won't be for a long time either! 

Finally, I am flying the nest!

I have wanted to move out for as long as I can remember- since I was about 17. I remember being so determined to turn 18 and thinking that that would automatically make me an adult and able/ready to move out. HA! How wrong was I? I was nowhere near ready, and nowhere near rich enough either! However, a few years down the line I am now more financially secure than I've ever been in my life, I'm in a wonderful relationship with a partner I'm happy to be moving out with and I have just turned 22, so have a bit more adult independence under my belt! (Some might debate this... but I'm gonna roll with it). 

So the time has come...I am leaving home to embark out on my own life with my boyfriend, to start building our lives together, and I could not be more excited about it. I was a little worried about the whole process at first- my boyfriend and I have only been together 4 months and so on more than one occasion I have been faced with someone who is totally shocked and has tried to instil doubt into my mind and make me back out of my choice to do this. Sure, moving in with someone you’ve been dating for 4 months is pretty quick, and pretty risky. But I love Jonny, I want to build a future with him- so why wait until a time that is determined as ‘right’ by everyone else?


boyfriend


For my whole life, I’ve been stubborn and if I want to do something, I’ll do it. If I want something to happen, I’ll make it happen. When I set my mind to something, that's it- there's no going back. My parents will confirm that for you! So when a situation arose where I then found myself having to move out, I knew that it was the right thing to do to move out with Jonny. Luckily, he was even more enthusiastic about it than I was, and we’ve basically said a big "f you" to people who have told us that it won’t work out, that we can’t afford it, that the decision we're making is wrong etc. etc. It's our life, it's what we want to do and we're happy. To be honest, we don't care what anybody else thinks. 

*(aside from the people who have expressed genuine concern out of worry for us as good friends who just want us to make the right choice and have been supportive of us ever since realising this is exactly what we want)*

Of course, there was still a small, teeny, tiny bit of anxiety at the back of my brain- but then I read an amazing post by one of my favourite bloggers, Vix, who is in a very similar situation to me, and she instantly made me feel better when I read this:


blog quote


I know that she’s right, and I know that I was right to follow my gut instinct and fly the nest with my boyfriend right now. If it messes up, sure, it will be sad- but I would rather know now then after spending 5, 6, 10 years or more together! And I am quite sure that it won't, anyway. 

Life is short, and I am a big fan of living in the now. We love each other very much, we want to be together for the foreseeable future and we both want to live together and start this next chapter of our lives together. Is there a need to wait? I don’t think so.

I’m so looking forward to moving out but there are some things I’m feeling a bit nostalgic about. I’m going to miss my not-so-baby sister so much. I’ve lived with her for her whole life and I can’t imagine not seeing her every day at the table, moodily stirring her cereal, or hearing her blurt out the same Declan McKenna song over and over again. As bizarre as it sounds, I’ll miss having my mum nag me- something that has just become a part of my life and routine over the last 22 years! I’ll miss the family dinners (even though they were getting more and more rare) and I’ll miss someone always being in the house with me!

house


I’ll also miss the house itself. I’ve made a lot of great memories there. I’ve drunk myself to throwing up there, I’ve made pancakes with good friends there, I’ve cried over boys there, I’ve had my spirits lifted and my heart broken there. I’ve learned to cook there, learned to use the washing machine. I got my own room for the first time in three years, my first double bed that I could enjoy just for me. Above all else, I made a lot of memories with Jonny there.

But there’s no point lingering on the memories and feeling all maudlin and nostalgic about it. I'm excited to decorate and place all of our new furniture and home-y bits. I'm excited about making our own rules in our own home. I'm excited to have friends over to dinner, the way they've had me over so many times before now. I'm excited to have a glam room! (More on that later...). But above all else, I’m excited to start a brand new chapter of my life tomorrow with Jonny by my side- I really can’t wait to see what it brings for us.

Wish us luck with our move tomorrow- I’ll probably be MIA for some time but cross your fingers for me!

Love from,


Florence Grace

If you liked this why not try...

Comments

  1. Good luck with your new home! I'm currently looking for a place to live and I can't wait to move out!

    Chichi
    chichiwrites.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chichi! I hope you find the perfect place for you soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.