Think big, think better- a lunch with Kenny Campbell

So thanks to GoThinkBig, today I was given the opportunity to attend a question and answer session with previous editor of London's 'Metro' newspaper, Kenny Campbell. As a budding journalist myself, I thought this was the opportunity of a life time- and I wasn't wrong!


Prior to the event, I had been tweeting Kenny to make myself known and to get to know him. This didn't go unnoticed and I was awarded with a caramel wafer bar for my proactive efforts! Joined by about 10 other girls, the question and answer session began and Kenny began to grace us with his wise words and inspiration. His first acknowledgement of the session, however, was that there was no boys. He found this very interesting, as when he himself had started in the media, it had been quite a different story.

He hadn't always been destined for the media though- it was an act of fate that actually bought him to where he is today. Originally, he studied Economics and Politics at university before realizing he found both subjects to be 'incredibly dull'. After graduating, he decided media was the path he wanted to go down- and after some incredible effort he finally got his foot in the door when he applied to be a sub-editor- an advertisement he had seen in a free newspaper that he didn't normally pick up, whilst on a broken down train in a blizzard. It seemed Kenny's fate had been sealed. From there on, he took on several other positions at a wide variety of papers, spending no more than 2 years at each placement, before finally moving to the Metro, where he stayed for 12 years. During this time, the Metro became the best selling free newspaper around- an achievement I'm sure Kenny feels proud of.

I did have to take a moment to let his 'journey' into media sink in. It had all been down to luck- almost a 'right place, right time' sort of scenario. It sounded like exactly the kind of opportunity I would need, and the end of his story lead perfectly onto my first question for him.

"Is university a necessity? Because I'm currently taking a 'gap year' as I am not sure if a degree is better, or whether work experience and placements etc. would be preferred"

His answer was very helpful to me. Whilst explaining that a degree was of course an excellent way to gain information about journalism and gaining contacts, he reassured me that it was not a necessity when it came to breaking into the media industry and that experience did count for a lot. For him, he said that when it came to looking through people's application forms, to stand out you had to have an 'amazing attitude and basic competency'- absolutely no spelling mistakes!!

Another key thing Kenny told us to do to help get into the world of media was networking, and taking every opportunity that comes your way. "Networking and experience really make you stand out" he said "If you got offered an internship, think very hard about why you would say no". Being a bit of a social media pro, this was music to my ears! I already believed networking to be important, but to have it confirmed by someone in the industry was helpful and confirmed my own thoughts about breaking into the world of media.

The next question I had for Kenny regarded my blog, and how to deal with negative feedback and criticism's- something I am no stranger to. His response was simple. "Having an opinion isn't a bad thing...Don't be afraid of criticism, it's not their life!". This quote is something I am going to permanently embed in my mind! As a blogger, and a budding journalist, you have to be prepared to be faced with opposing opinions to your own. Being thick skinned is something that has to come naturally to figures working within the media, but I found these words to be very comforting.

The final words of wisdom from Kenny were "Do what you're comfortable with, but do it well".

My journey home after the session with Kenny was filled with thoughts regarding what I am doing with my journey into the media now, and what I would like to be doing to get further ahead. I found Kenny's positive approach refreshing and more than helpful. It was interesting to see someone so successful had fallen into the media but pure luck to begin with, before working extremely hard to get to where he is today. His positive approach was also extremely inspiring- too often we hear negative views of people who bring us our daily news, so it was nice to actually meet someone who delivered news to us and find out the journalist/editor stereotype was quite far from the truth- in this instance anyway!

I know now more than ever that journalism is the road I would like to go down, and I will make sure to remember all of Kenny's helpful hints and tips from today! Inspirational, helpful and wise- 3 words to sum up the legend that is Kenny Campbell! Thank you to GoThinkBig for the fabulous opportunity today- definitely a lunch time I wont' forget!




Love from,
Florence Grace

All images my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.