Death Row and criminal punishments: The Debate

Some may call me small minded, naive or just plain evil, but I have always believed that the death penalty and the infamous Death Row were something that should be introduced in the UK. I firmly believed if you sexually abused anyone, especially children, abducted someone or took someones life, you deserved not to live a life of your own.

Of course, there is the strong opposing argument: we teach people that killing (along with various other crimes) is wrong by killing them- an action that is deemed illegal. Pretty nonsensical really. When I get involved in debates regarding the death penalty and Death Row, my mind is often torn when trying to reach a conclusion. Is sitting in a cell, with three meals a day and time to do luxurious things such as play pool and watch TV, really punishment enough for a criminal? Is rehabilitation really the way forward and does it really work? Or is Death Row the way forward? I can never settle 100% on one answer.


On April 3rd 2015, my opinions were altered dramatically. Anthony Ray Hinton was released from Death Row after nearly thirty years when charges against him were dismissed and Hinton became a free man. I was absolutely appalled at his story (which you can read in full here) and could not believe that someone had been held for nearly 3 decades for, ultimately, no reason. How disgusting! Immediately, I felt awful that I had always been so in favor of Death Row when it may be the case that not everyone being held there is guilty. Just how many times has this mistake been made? How many more times will it be made? How many innocent people are sat in a cell, awaiting death right now? The thought makes me shudder.

I have obviously now had second thoughts about Death Row, about how accurate it is and about how necessary and useful it is. If we can never be 100% sure about whether somebody committed a crime or not, what right do we have to send them to their death? If we aren't 100% sure that somebody committed a crime, why don't we just throw them into an ordinary prison? Millions of questions arise, most of them remain unanswered.

However, is an "ordinary prison" really punishment enough for some of the crimes that these people commit? With luxuries such as weekend release, sports equipment and TV's allowed, can that really be deemed as punishment enough for thieves, abusers, rapists, murderers? In my opinion, I think not.

I think that rehabilitation is a must for all criminals, regardless of how small or large their crime is regarded. However, I do not think that the more serious crimes, murder being the most obvious, are worthy of release. If you intentionally take someone's life, you do not deserve to lead a normal, free life. You don't deserve to live a normal life with your family and friends, go shopping and partying, snuggle in bed watching Netflix and acting as though you've done nothing wrong. Not only is it unjust towards the victim but it is unjust for their loved ones too...and who's to say a murderer, or any other kind of serious criminal, will commit again?

Whilst yes, a thief may commit again, that is nowhere near as serious as murder. In my opinion, it is safer for a thief to be released from prison than a murderer.

So in this case, should the more serious criminals be sent to Death Row, and eventually sent to their death? Or should they be left to an even worse fate- having to spend the rest of their lives living with what they have done, and, we would assume the guilt of what they have done? It is a question that I still battle over in my mind. Should we play God to those who feel they can play God themselves? If we do, who gets the part of ending one's life? Is that ethical? Yet if we don't, is an ordinary prison punishment enough? I continue to ask myself (and others!) these endless questions...I still find myself left with inconclusive answers.

Obviously, all of these views are my own personal and what could be regarded as "uneducated" opinions. However, everybody is entitled to an opinion and this is mine. I for one know that criminals can change and become better people- however, I am fortunate enough that the criminals I have worked with have never been very dangerous or serious ones. What should happen to the more serious criminals of the world? Do they deserve to lead a normal life, a life in a cell, or no life at all?

You tell me.

Love from,
Florence Grace

I am aware this is a controversial topic. No harm, insult or offense is purposely intended by this post. I am genuinely interested in people's opinions and thoughts, so please do leave yours below! Or get in touch using the links in the sidebar. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.