Reggie Yates: My biggest inspiration




When I was 12, I got a radio for my birthday. It was really cool, cube shaped with a cube shaped speaker. It looked really modern and also had the ability to stand your iPod in it or use an aux cable to play your own music too. I absolutely loved it.

It was at 12 that I started listening to the Radio 1 chart show, and it was at 12 that I discovered who Reggie Yates and Fearne Cotton were. I fell in love, listening to the show religiously, texting in every week. At the time, my name was Flo Jo and when I signed a text off that way, Reggie Yates read it out, saying how cool my name was. The shows were so much fun to listen to and I decided that was what I wanted to do; I wanted to be a radio presenter like Reggie Yates and Fearne. 

While Fearne Cotton does inspire me with all of the things that she does (I'd love to have my fingers in as many pies as her!), its Reggie Yates who is my real inspiration. He started out in kids TV alongside Fearne, ended up landing the ultimate dream job at Radio 1 with her and now, he's a serious investigative journalist who makes harrowing documentaries that have earned him the title of "the next Louis Theroux". He has made such excellent progression with his career that you can't help but to be inspired. 

Image result for reggie yates and fearne cotton
Reggie and Fearne when they first started out!

The media is so hard to get in to because its so competitive, but I work so hard at it every single day. Some people might argue that, with all that I do, I'm already a part of the industry. Yes, that might be true, but I'm not satisfied yet. I want to progress in the way Reggie Yates has, consistently going from strength to strength, developing his skills all of the time, continuously getting better and better. 

Now don't get me wrong, I don't see myself going into such serious journalism as Reggie Yates has, but I do see myself going into real life journalism, as a radio presenters time on air can be very short lived. So many presenters come and go on Radio 1 and when their time is up, they get downgraded to Radio 2, or the likes. Rather than going through that, I want to go onwards and upwards, just like Reggie, and also Fearne, have done. 

Image result for reggie yates tv show
Reggie stayed in a US prison as an inmate to discover what it was really like and to find out if prisons were really helping criminals out. 

If Reggie Yates is the next Louis Theroux, then maybe I can be the next Reggie Yates or Fearne Cotton, right? 

Maybe I'll just be the first Flo instead, inspired by greatness but striving for greater. 

Love from,
Florence Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.