Education: What's the point?

I was applying for a BBC Internship recently that meant I would be helping with popular childs TV program, Blue Peter. After lots of work experience and reaching education at a foundation diploma level, I was surprised when I read the following two statements in the job criteria:




For those who find the font too small, I'll just rewrite those out for you.

"Anyone with- or without- GCSE's or A levels is eligible to apply. In fact you may not even have a GCSE qualification in English and Maths (A-C) but you'll need to be able to work at this level"

"You are not eligible to apply if you already received or are currently working towards a Level 4 or equivalent qualification (i.e. degree or foundation degree, Level 4 apprenticeship) and above." 

Okay, okay so yes, at first this seems completely commendable. It shows that massive media corporations are willing to take on people who may not have had the opportunity to receive a good education, or may have diverted from the expected educational route. That's great and really commendable, as not everyone goes beyond GCSE's, for a whole multitude of reasons. Not everyone goes to university, or studies beyond compulsory education, and that is fine. 

What's not okay is that at the same time, they are penalising those who do choose to continue with further education! Myself, I did not attend university, but I have studied a level 4 foundation diploma...and thanks to my eagerness to further my education, I can now no longer apply for what would be an excellent job that, other than being over educated, I am totally qualified to do. 

It's not the first time I have seen this either- it is common on many media based applications, including the BBC, Sky and Channel 4. Sky and Channel 4's small print even goes as far as to say- in so many words- that it favours ethnic minorities and people with disabilities over anyone else who applies! 

I find this incredulous. Not because I am racist or discriminatory towards any kind of person, because I definitely am not. But to me, a job application should be based entirely on the experience you have and the quality of your application. If qualifications are needed, it should be based on those as well, but I understand that these are not always relevant. 

Why should somebody get a job over me because they have had less of an education than me? If I had paid for university, I would be fuming. If I had paid for further education to boost my employment chances, to see an application that stated what I have screenshot above, I would be beyond angry. So you're penalised for being educated? Wonderful. If this sort of thing does anything, it encourages people not to get a proper education because they know they can get a good job with a good company regardless!

I understand that this helps people who haven't had the chance to receive education beyond GCSE's, I do, and like I've said, I think that's great! But don't exclude those who have been able to get further education! If its about equal opportunities, then just make a basic application form and ask about experience that each applicant has had, qualities they possess and forget about qualifications altogether. That is more fair than excluding someone who has tried to better their opportunities! 

There we go. Rant over. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think- am I being unreasonable or is this unfair? Let me know in the comments below! 

Love from,
Florence Grace 



Comments

  1. Firstly, great post. I do find it aggravating at times when I'm restricted from certain opportunities simply because I've decided to further my education. Errrrm, why punish me world?

    Secondly, those 'internships' don't allow graduates to apply because as a graduate you have the right to demand up to 40% greater pay, for doing the same job. But also (and more annoyingly so), I now can't go and apply for that internship because apparently I'm too over qualified for the tasks at hand, even if I am prepared to accept lower-band pay. Completely ridiculous, I know, because I definitely didn't take a degree to be stuff in some jam-packed overly stressful non-creative job AND I'm not at all knowledgeable in that particular field. Regardless, the government actually sets these rules so that people don't borrow university loans, get a degree, and then enter the workforce into a job where they're not going to be earning enough to pay the loans back.

    The BBC Internships have always been aimed at people furthering their education, but in a workplace environment if they find that the current in-school education system isn't suitable for their needs. Whilst you've had the education, and you've worked hard to be qualified to do well at said job advertised, it's not actually a job, it's a teaching scheme essentially. They shouldn't really call them 'internships' because that's a misleading title.

    I get your frustration, but don't worry girly! You'll get there. An internship will come up, and you'll probably find its so much better suited to you and your interests! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness though I LOVE how your comment settings made me pink. Yaaaaay #pinkwordssaveworlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that the government had set that in place so that's interesting to hear, thanks for letting me know that! Fortunately now I have found myself an internship that I WASN'T too qualified for, but I still feel sorry for people who are struggling along!

      Haha well of course, what other colour would you appear on my blog? Pink is the only way forward! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I know the feeling. I'm in two minds about it. I find that in some cases you need a degree to be considered for certain jobs, but as a university student and soon-to-be-graduate I have found that some employers (not in the media) refuse to hire me because I'm 'over-qualified' or seen as a liability.

    Also, I'd expect the BBC/Sky New/top news outlets to have a scheme aimed at graduates??

    I think the reason why some outlets try to recruit more ethnic minorities and disabled people is because the media is mostly made up of white, middle-class, elitist, able-bodied men. As a woman and as an ethnic minority of color I am aware that I may experience disadvantages in my future media career. But I think that in terms of equal opportunities, opportunities should be available for everyone.

    Chichi
    http://chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.