Turning 21!



It's the 1st of November (where the heck has the year gone?!) and that means at 15:29 today, I will be 21 years old. 21! I was going to do one of those bog standard blog posts "21 lessons by 21" but I thought I'd switch it up a little and go for a different take on things...the 21 best moments of my life so far! I've lead a pretty exciting life so far, so thought I'd take a look back over the last 21 years and pick out some of the most defining moments of my life so far. So, in no particular order...

Seeing Beyonce!
Of course getting to see my favourite singer, my idol, my inspiration was one of the absolute highlights of my entire life! I cried nearly all the way through the concert and I had the best time ever! She exceeded all of my expectations and I wish I could see her again.



Meeting Jacqueline Wilson
Well, I've actually met her three times, but the first time was the best time. As a child, I adored all of her books. I collected the Tracy Beaker magazine, had all the Jacqueline Wilson memorabilia possible, read all of the books (I still can't pick a favourite) and so when nine year old me got to come face to face with my idol and meet her, I couldn't believe my luck! I think it was the first time in my life I've ever been truly starstruck but it was still amazing. She signed my book and told me to "keep up the writing", which I definitely have! 



Performing at the Royal Albert Hall
When I was younger, I was incredibly musical. I played classical guitar, bass guitar, trumpet and percussion in my school's jazz band, the local music centre's brass band and also sang in my school's choir. I've performed at the Royal Albert Hall as a singer and as a musician and both times were incredible! But I much preferred playing than singing. Performing on stage is absolutely exhilarating and I wish I had stuck at it so I could still do it.

Going to Amsterdam
I went to Amsterdam for the first time on my 18th birthday (three years ago today, jeeze!) and I fell in love...I've now been back a total of four times because I absolutely adore the city! I will never get bored of it, it's just such an amazing place, so cute and friendly. I just love it okay! If you haven't visited before, you have to now! 



Winning a Judo award
I hate exercise. I swam when I was younger and apparently I was good at it but I don't really remember. However, one sport I did take up and ended up loving was judo- and I was actually good at it too! I was so proud of myself when I won my first award, and then I went on to fight at several competitions and win four medals, as well as fighting at The Bucks Youth Games and winning a trophy there too! 

Passing my 12+
When I failed my 11+, I was devastated. Since I was four I had had my heart set on going to the all girls grammar school in my town. It was all I wanted to do. It was predicted that I would pass my 11+ with flying colours by all of my teachers and then something happened- God knows what- and I just didn't! But second time lucky, hey? I took my 12+ the following year and passed it, meaning I could attend the all girls grammar school like I'd dreamed. I might have come out of that school hating it, but at the time of passing, I had never felt so happy!

Getting a radio
When I was 12, I got my own radio for my birthday. It was then that I began listening to the Radio 1 chart show and fell in love with Fearne Cotton and Reggie Yates, and it was then that I decided on my future dream career- a Radio 1 presenter!! Or, you know, just a radio presenter. I was told over and over again it wouldn't happen but I'm closer to my dream now than I ever thought I would be! 



Starting a blog
Gosh, you all know already how much my blog has changed my life! I have done so much over the last two years, things that I would only have ever dreamed about. I never imagined I would actually be doing all of the incredible things that I have done! Meeting new people, landing myself new jobs and opportunities...starting a blog has honestly been the best thing I've ever done!

Getting my own radio show
I have wanted to be a radio presenter since I was 12 years old, so when I was able to have my own radio show aged just 18, I couldn't believe that this was happening to me! I remember feeling out of this world happy when the show was offered to me because finally my dreams were starting to come true and I just couldn't believe it! Since then, my media career has really taken off. Getting my own radio show was undoubtedly one of the best moments of my life. 



Going to college
Now this will sound weird, but the entire year of college was one of the best moments of my life. Why? Because that year changed my life. I had a year with lots of free time (only being at college twice a week) to attend lots of media events and seminars and what not, I developed my own business, I decided that I didn't want to follow through with my uni placement and I made the best friends in the world- Abby, Poppy, Alec, Ben and Ricarda. These five are my absolute best friends and without them I'd be so lost! Without college, I wouldn't have met them, and so I'm so happy I went! 





Going to Menorca
My first foreign holiday and my first time on a plane was too Menorca and it was brilliant. I'd never felt foreign sun or been in foreign sea and it's so much better than English sun and sea! And the food- Spanish Paella, there is nothing like it! And Sangria! Oh gosh, I just loved it so much and it sparked a love of travelling in me!



My break up
My break up was definitely the worst and yet somehow the best moment of my life. Of course it was filled with heartbreak and misery to begin with but it has definitely shaped who I am and made me who I am today! I'm more confident, I'm happier, I'm more successful, more independent...I'm more me. It was a life defining moment for me and has totally changed my life. 

Getting accepted to my first choice university
Despite not actually going to university in the end, I was over the moon when I found out I had smashed my A Levels and earned myself a place at my first choice university to study my chosen course! I had been so sure I would fail and wouldn't get in but I did far better than I ever thought I would have been able to and was so proud of myself.

Starting my own magazine
Of course starting my own magazine would have to be on the list! Running my own business, producing my own publication that has been distributed across the globe and of course, making my own publication that has its own- albeit small- readership and fan base, is one of the biggest achievements of my life, and the first time I held the first issue in my hand I felt so happy! Since then, it just gets better and better when I produce a new issue! 



Getting my first social media job
When I landed my first social media job I was over the moon! I'd only been blogging for a year and while that counted as experience with social media, I had never had a proper social media job before, so I feel like I kind of blagged my way into the role...however, it was an amazing opportunity and I got to design products for the company, meet actor Luke Evans and gain lots of important tips and experience about working in social media! 

Winning a music award
When I was 11, and in my final year of primary school, I won a trophy for my outstanding contribution to music at school. Each year, at an end of term music concert that was a huge deal to the school, one pupil from each year group won a trophy for their contributions and hard work. I had waited four years for this trophy and when I finally won it in my last year, it was like one final victory before leaving school! I felt on top of the world! 

Yes, that's me at the back in the glasses with the guitar!


Joining Bamboo Club
If you didn't go to my primary school, this will mean literally nothing to you haha. When I was at Infant school (ages 4-7) there was something called Bamboo Club (my head teacher loved Pandas and still has an office where walls are lined with her vast collection of soft toy pandas). It was for "exceptional pupils" who did well at school, from what I remember, and the kids who got asked to join were often the kids who went on to attend private schools and become doctors, not to be majorly stereotypical. However, in year 2, I was selected to join Bamboo club. I'm not sure if my mum was more shocked or happy but either way, it was a massive achievement and I remember feeling very special because of it! 

Seeing S Club 7
I adored S Club 7 and when I was about 6, my best friend at the time took me to one of their concerts. It was amazing. Not to mention the fact it was my first ever proper concert too! I remember getting dressed in cool S Club style clothes- pink camo print trousers and a white cami top and then two high plaits!!! Awful when I look back now but its such a strong memory in my head, I absolutely loved it! 



Being on TV
I was on TV for the first time when I was 11, as part of my school's Jazz Band. We appeared on the CBeebies show 'Take A Bow' which highlighted the talents of young children. It was so much fun and I absolutely loved it, I felt so famous haha. I was then on TV again when I was 19 and 20 and it was even better!



Seeing Damon Albarn
Blur are one of my favourite bands but unfortunately seeing them live has just never happened for me, and probably never will do. So, my mum made the next best thing happen- she got me tickets to see Damon Albarn! And while he performed his own music he sang some Gorillaz songs and some Blur songs. The whole night was like a dream come true.

Becoming a magazine columnist
One of the coolest things that has ever happened to me is becoming a magazine columnist. Seeing my work published on a page in a glossy magazine is an unreal feeling and one that I will never tire of. The first time I had a published column, I cried, and I knew this was the kind of work I wanted to be doing.




The last 21 years of my life have definitely treated me well. I've done so many incredible things, achieved so much and had so much fun, it was so difficult to make a highlight reel of just 21 moments! However, there they are, some of the biggest and most memorable moments of my life so far! I hope 21 turns out to be the most fortunate and blessed year for me yet.

Love from,
Florence Grace

Comments

  1. Wow! So amazing! You have achieved so much!

    Chichi
    chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.