The people vs. Marcia Clark




Unless you've been living under a rock your whole life, you'll more than likely know about the infamous trial of O.J. Simpson- even if it's just from knowing about the Kardashian's and finding out about it that way.


Recently, the BBC has been broadcasting an excellent drama, 'The People v. O.J. Simpson', a tv series documenting what happened before, during and after the chaotic trial- one of the most publicised and public-involved trials of all time. The media and general public were so invested in this trial and, years later, still are.

I have been swept up in the excitement of this drama. I knew the brief outline of Simpson's story from my dad, but noting too in depth. Now, having been keeping up with these episodes of the drama, I can't help but wish that I'd been around when it was all going down- even been a lawyer with a part in the case. It seems so intriguing. At first, I was so sure O.J. was guilty. Now I can't quite make up my mind. It's like 'Making A Murderer' all over again (seriously, if you haven't even watched that, where have you been?).

I especially wished that I had been around after this week's episode- 'Marcia, Marcia, Marcia'.

Boy, did my heart break for Marcia Clark. I broke down and cried real and genuine tears for that women. I felt every inch of her pain, her humility, her anger. I really sympathised with the situation she was in and I really fucking hated the world- mostly men, but women too- when I watched this episode. I was upset but more than that I was angry. I was furious.

Because in episode 6, 'Marcia, Marcia, Marcia' I saw just how badly women before me have suffered at the hands of blatant sexism. I saw the struggle it was for a woman to uphold a professional career in such a prestigious career as law. And I counted my lucky stars that we are a fraction better off today than women were then- than Marcia was then.

*Spoiler alerts from here on in*.

From the beginning of the trial, we have seen the criticism Marcia has received for her looks. People said she looked cold hearted, mean and bitchy. They didn't like how she dressed or how she wore her hair. But other than the jury's opinion of her being recorded for the trial, that was all we really heard.

Until about episode 4 or 5 where the media really began to dig their claws in to her. They ripped her apart on TV and in magazines, focusing solely on her looks, her clothes. And in episode 6, things began to get really personal. The difference was, Marcia began to fight back. Unfortunately, it was a losing battle, and it was horrendous to watch.

We saw Marcia's hair style being mocked on the cover of numerous magazines. So what did she do? She went to the hairdressers and got what she and her hairdresser agreed was a 'softer' look. She felt sassy and great the next day when she walked into the court room- only to be torn apart with sarcasm and mockery from the male judge, fellow male lawyers and, of course, the media, who splashed her face over magazine covers again and again, mocking her new hair style even more than the last.

It didn't stop there, of course. A talk show brought on a 'fashion guru' who destroyed Marcia's personal style on live TV for hundreds to watch, including Marcia's children. Following this, her ex husband revealed what a bad mother he thought she was to the media, which of course made front page news. Then, her ex, ex husband released nude photo's of her that he had from their honeymoon...which again, made headline news. And the episode closed with Marcia breaking down, because she just didn't know how to handle it any more. And my heart broke with her. It wasn't just sad because of the general situation- it was sad because Marcia was such a strong, powerful woman, and now they'd managed to break her.

sarah paulson american crime story acs the people v oj simpson

She was the lead prosecuting lawyer in the biggest case for years, she was fighting a brilliant case, she was doing her job perfectly- and yet no one cared. No one cared because she was a woman. All they cared about was her face, her figure, her clothes- and tearing them apart on mainstream media channels. They paid absolutely no mind to the hard work she was putting in to the case, the 70 hour weeks she was working, the divorce she was suffering through, the sacrifices she was making by leaving her children with endless babysitters so she could work late, ruining her family life, in order to get this murderer behind bars. She was trying to rid the world of one less dangerous person and all she was getting in return was abuse.

I also feel that Marcia's abuse was brought on by the fact she was standing up for women. O.J.'s primary victim was his ex girlfriend, and mother to his children, Nicole. There was a history of inappropriate sexual behaviour, towards her and other women, as well as a history of domestic violence- and now murder. Marcia was standing up for the wrongful treatment of a women, in order to help women everywhere. And, again, she was mocked for it.

I really wanted to hurl when Marcia's male boss stepped in. At first, he offered her his condolences for the things the media were saying and doing. He told her how inappropriate him and his wife thought it all was. Marcia was grateful for the kind words, of course.

And then he implied, in so many words, that she should change to meet the media's expectations in order to stop being put under so much scrutiny. Marcia didn't even give this idea a response, swiftly exiting the conversation- and rightly so! Why should she change her appearance for anyone? She was doing her job, she was doing it well. Her looks really didn't come in to it at all.

omg sarah paulson oh my god american crime story the people v oj simpson

Now obviously I don't know much about the case, or about Marcia Clark, so my opinion could change as future episodes are aired. but as far as I can see right now, the sexism in this case was absolutely unreal. When I began watching, I thought the issue surrounding this case was racism. Now I can clearly see that feminism and sexism play a big role too. The treatment of Marcia is absolutely horrifying, and as I've already mentioned, it made me so angry, angry beyond belief, whilst simultaneously breaking my heart.

If a woman is doing her job, let her do her job! What is the need to talk about her hair or her clothes? Why not talk about the things she's doing well, what she's achieving? When it came to Marcia, there was a lot more that could have been discussed. It shows just how bland mainstream media was back then- and sadly, it's not much different today. Whilst women do have somewhat more power and respect today than they did 5, 10, 20 years ago, the main focus is still on our looks. You'll see articles discussing medical procedures, weight loss, weight gain, fashion failures, who wore it best and so on. We don't care. Tell us something interesting about a woman, not the size of her shoes or the name of the dye she uses on her hair.

Marcia Clark was more than her suits. She was more than her hair. She was a powerful and intelligent prosecuting lawyer on O.J. Simpson's trial and that is what she should have been known for- and what she should be remembered for now. She should not have been torn down, insulted and mocked, had her personal life invaded and had inappropriate, private photo's leaked all because she was born with a vagina.

Marcia Clark, my heart broke for you. Women all over the world still living without feminism, my heart breaks for you still. We are more than our clothes, more than our looks, more than our hairstyles.

We are people.

Love from,
Florence Grace


Like this? Why not try... International Women's Day | Free Kesha | FORMATION

Comments

  1. Just to add - completely unrelated topic - I like the new layout of your blog!

    Chichi
    http://chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you think so- and that you agree! I know, it truly was very heartbreaking! Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.