Goodbye, Dearest Holly



I've spoken about my favourite books before, all of which were fictional novels for young adults (okay, okay, one of them was a children's book), but there's one book I always forget about. A book which moves me to tears, fills me with rage, a book in which I feel every word, every emotion that has been poured into each chapter. Which book am I talking about? "Goodbye, Dearest Holly" by Kevin Wells. 

Source: www.easons.com

If the title hasn't given it away, the book is written by the father of murdered school girl Holly Wells, who, along with her friend Jessica Chapman, were tragically killed back in 2002. Their story was such a high profile case that you can't have missed it, and even now is brought up in the news, with Kevin appearing on TV towards the end of last year. The whole world felt this case, in a similar way to the way the world feels the disappearance of Maddie McCann, and it's one that has never left people's minds. 

I was six, nearly seven, when the girls were killed, and even I remember seeing their cheeky faces on the news and the oh so famous Man United shirts they donned in the world wide photo that we all became used to seeing splashed across the news papers. More deeply imprinted in my mind are the faces of their killers, Ian Huntley and his girlfriend at the time, Maxine Carr. 

Source: The Daily Mail

Anyway. The book "Goodbye, Dearest Holly", is Kevin Wells take on the events that occurred from the moment his daughter went missing at a family BBQ on August 4th 2002 up until the very end of the case and the "moving on" part of the process. It's a very, very emotional book and I am surprised that I enjoy. Being someone who settles for fictional teenage dramas with happy endings and quirky characters, reading a harrowing, real life tale of a families tragedy and their fight with the police force to regain justice for their beloved daughter was a massive change, but one that I enjoyed (as bizarre as that sounds, given the content of the book). 

I think it's because there is no editing. Kevin is open about the emotions his family and himself went through. He is open about his brother leaking a secret to the media, about the uncertain feelings surrounding the vicar, about his doubt for religion and how his thoughts on it changed after Holly's death. He uses expletive language rarely, but it's there, showing the real frustration and anger. I also find it incredibly interesting to see how the police actually work in a case like this. Kevin lays out just how long it takes to get things done, and you understand why the media keep bringing up the same stories for weeks- because the police take weeks, sometimes months, to get anything done!

If I hadn't already have known the story and it's outcome, I would have guessed straight away that Huntley was the killer. This breaks my heart when I read the book. Without giving too much away, there's a point in the book where Kevin and Huntley interact and as it happens I sit there wanting to tear the pages out, screaming in frustration "It's him, go to his house, beat him up, destroy him IT'S ALL HIM". But of course,  I can't, and even if I could it was already too late at this point in time. 

Kevin's interaction with the mediums intrigues me too. The mediums predictions about the case are so accurate that it seems there must be "another side". I have had my fair share of ghostly experiences and yet still find myself saying "but really? Do ghosts exist?" but every time I read this book I feel that they certainly must. Dennis, in particular, knew everything and his talents are undeniable. 

It's now been 14 years since the tragedy yet the image of the girls in their football tops still stays firmly imprinted in my mind. They would be 25 years old now. It's amazing how time flies and it must be so bizarre for their families, who I am sure must often think about what they would be doing now, had their lives gone a different way. 

There has been one small positive out of the death of Holly and Jessica, and that is Kevin Wells' work with UK charity 'Grief Encounter'. They are a charity created to help children, such as Holly and Jessica's siblings at the time, with the loss of a sibling or parent, and Kevin Wells has worked closely with them to help raise funds for the charity and improve their work with children in need all over the UK. 

Source: www.mumsnet.com

If you haven't read "Goodbye, Dearest Holly" I strongly suggest you do so. I picked mine up from a charity shop but I'm sure you can buy it online, or in a book store somewhere. It's worth the read and will definitely remind you to embrace life and hold on tight to those close to you whilst you can- you never know which moment with them will be your last. 

Love from,
Florence Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.