I'm not your competition.



You know what's really awkward? 

Someone openly referring to you as their personal competition. You, and your accomplishments, mark their competition. Weird, right? 


I mean, at first I was flattered. Flattered that they felt I was someone worthy of competing against, someone they could mark their own successes against. That seemed kind of cool, and indicated to me that I was obviously doing some stuff in my life well. 

But then I really thought about it, and I realised that actually, it was a little insulting. Competing against someone means that someone has to lose. Effectively, this individual basically told me they use me as a benchmark and try to do better. They want to be better than me. But if they do better than me, that's not going to be good for me, is it? I want to be the best if we're making this a game! 

I'm being totally honest when I say I don't compete with anyone. No one- and I mean no one- that I know has the same goals and ambitions as me. So that means I'm safe, I don't have to worry too much about being 'better' than anyone else or outdoing anyone. I can just do me and hopefully be okay. So why can't others do the same?

Obviously, working in the media is a competitive industry and so there is going to be competition- this is clearly what said individual was getting at. They probably didn't mean it to come across the way that it did, but it still seemed uncomfortable. Even if I did have a mental competition going on with someone, I would never openly admit that to them! I might word it differently, stating that they inspired me to do better, words to that effect, That, or I'd say nothing at all. 


I don't want people to be competing with me. My work, my goals and, ultimately my life is not a race, not a game. There's only one person playing and that's me. My only 'competition' is myself. In my opinion, that's how it should be for everyone. Be inspired or empowered by other people to strive to be better than you currently are- but don't compete. 

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below!

Love from,
Florence Grace 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.