Being vegan



On Saturday night, I watched popular documentary 'Cowspiracy'.

On Saturday night, I decided to become a vegan.

Yep, can you believe it! I love cheese! I love eggs! I love prawns! How could I possibly go vegan?

To be honest, I really, really don't know. But after I watched that documentary, I knew I couldn't go on eating animal products. Not only does meat consumption contribute towards the majority of global warming, the way animals are treated is horrendous. Of course, I was aware of this before. I always knew this, I'm not stupid. But something about the documentary made me think differently.

It's now Monday and it's day two of my 'vegan diet'. I am already struggling.

I knew straight off I wouldn't be able to jump right in to being a full on vegan for numerous reasons. Firstly, I had no vegan food in my house. Secondly, none of my friends or family are vegan. So I had already decided to wean myself into the diet.

On Sunday, I went shopping and bought lots of vegan bits and pieces- mostly snacky bits- but also some milk (rice milk and oat milk), tofu pieces, falafel, vegan cheese and vegan cream cheese.

This morning, I had vegan oat milk on my coco pops (which are coincidentally vegan too), and for lunch had a vegan tofu and salad wrap with falafel and some vegan crisps. It's all tasted really nice, although not as nice as meat but it is only day 1- I do need to experiment with recipes! For dinner, I had an ordinary meal, and for now, I feel that this is how my diet will have to work. I will eat vegan breakfasts and lunch but my dinners- eaten as a family with a non vegan family- will have to be non vegan. I think this is not only easier for my mum but also an easy way for me to ease myself into the diet.

It's only been one day and I'm already fretting over missing out on things such as Starbucks frappucinos and my favourite pizzas, pick n mix and cheese doritos. However, I'm hoping I'll be able to find some delicious recipes to fill the void in my tummy where the non vegan treats usually go. If you have any recipes, feel free to share them below! I need all the help that I can get!

Love from,
Florence Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.