Career vs. Relationship



Last week, I saw this image online. It really irked me and I had to share it on Twitter to see what some of my pals thought of the image. Luckily, their thoughts were very similar to my own; that it was ridiculous. 


This is the image I'm talking about. The one that states that "A career is great but you can't curl up with it when you're lonely at night". 

There is several things about this post that piss me off. Firstly, its the implication that a relationship is more important than a career. And okay, while for some people it might be, for other people it's not. Who is anyone to dictate to someone what should be a priority to them? If chasing your dream career is your number one focus in life, great. If settling down with the love of your life is your number one focus, brilliant. If it's neither of those, good for you. It's a personal opinion and totally down to each individual. 

Secondly, why does there have to be a competition? Why can't a woman (or a man, but given that it's a woman in the image, I'm going to speak as a woman) have both a determined attitude toward her career and also have a partner who she is happy with? Why is it apparently impossible for a woman to have both? I mean, speaking from personal experience, I know a lot of men are definitely intimidated by a woman with big dreams and a career driven mind, but that's a problem with the man surely, not the woman? 



Thirdly, no, you can't curl up with a career at night. But you can sleep alone in the house you bought, in your own Victoria Secret pj's in a lush double bed with designer bed sheets and a belly full of food and drink, smelling of Paco Rabanne perfume, all of which was purchased by you thanks to your man career.

Fourthly, you can have a career and a dog. Just saying. 

dog sleep cuddle dachshund comfortable

(You can also have a career and a man and so snuggling can definitely still commence). 

Lastly, the image itself. I don't get it- is this woman working with a pizza whilst naked? Looks pretty perfect to me! Is she chilling naked with a pizza and her partner who is taking the photo? Also a pretty perfect scenario. 

Ladies, don't let images like this try to tell you that focusing on a relationship is more important than focusing on your career. To be honest, don't let images like this tell you anything. As I said at the beginning of the post, it's up to an individual what they wish to focus on; if they want to focus on a career, fine, if they want to focus on a relationship, fine. It's actually no one else's concern or business what anyone else is focusing on. 

This image was posted by a man (honestly, I can't say that surprises me) and I think men (as well as some women, but particularly men) do need to be more accepting of the fact that nowadays, women's careers rank very highly in their list of priorities. Men shouldn't feel threatened by this; instead, they should celebrate it. It's definitely a very good thing. 

What do you think? Is there a battle between career vs. relationship? Should this battle even exist? Let me know in the comments below.

Love from,
Florence Grace

Comments

  1. As a super-ambitious career-minded woman, I definitely think that there is a "battle." People insinuate that a woman has to pick and choose between the two, which is ridiculous because you can have both!

    I really have a problem with images/quotes like the one above. I feel as though people say those things to put a woman off a career. Yes, a career won't hug you back but it will give you money and financial independence. People need to get used to the fact that career woman exist. It's not a crime to have big dreams and ambitions, but as a career-focused women I have met men and women who have taken an instant dislike to me because of this trait. It's annoying, it doesn't make me a bad person!

    Chichi
    http://chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - I guess to reiterate the point - if a woman wants to choose a career over a relationship, then what the hell is wrong with that?! It is her choice!

    Chichi
    http://chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you of all people would understand and agree with what I'm saying! Images like this are very problematic- they remind women that a relationship comes first and they also reinforce the ideology of a man being more important than a woman's own job in the male mind.

      I too have met men and women who think it's bizarre that I prioritise my career so highly!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Children With Cancer UK Fashion Show!

#MentalHealthAwarenessWeek - Body Image and Mental Health

Eating Disorders- the Blunt Truth.